Install Untangle 9.3 x64 Under VirtualBox 4.1.18← Back
08 Aug, 2012
I set the following VirtualBox options to successfully install Untangle 9.3 x64 under VirtualBox 4.1.18 on a Windows 8 host.
- New VM wizard settings
- I set the OS to Linux / Debian (64-bit).
- I allocated 1gb RAM.
- I allocated 20gb hard disk (The default 8gb will also work for testing purposes).
- VM settings (after completing the wizard but prior to booting the VM)
- In the System tab, I set Chipset to ICH9 and also unticked Enable Absolute Pointing Device.
- In the Storage tab, I attached the Untangle ISO to the CD drive.
- In the Audio tab, I disabled "Enable Audio" (Firewalls don't need audio).
- In the Network tab, I configured Adapter 1 as Bridged and Adapter 2 as Host Only. These will be detected by Untangle as your External and Internal interfaces respectively.
- After completing these steps I was able to boot the VM and install Untangle.
- After the installation completed, but prior to rebooting, I had to disable ACPI in the kernel boot parameters:
- Press CTRL-ALT-F2 to open a shell, then press Enter to launch it.
- # nano /target/boot/grub/menu.lst
- Find the default boot kernel around line 118.
- Update the "kernel" line (line 120 as of Untangle 9.3) and append "acpi=off" to it.
- Save and exit (CTRL-X).
- Press CTRL-ALT-F4 to switch back to the installation interface and click "Continue".
- While the system is rebooting, select Machine -> Close and select Power Off.
- Click Settings -> System and change "Chipset" back to "PIIX3" then boot the VM.
- You'll then be able to complete the setup wizard.